Slowing Down


Today, while curled up in an afghan my mom made me, I looked at a photo of toast that my dad sent me.  It seems like an odd combination but that afghan and picture of toast reminded me that I need to slow down.

I have a lot going on in my life right now.  And, while I tend to thrive creatively in chaos, I am feeling unnerved.  In the next 5 months I will move to a new state, leave behind a city full of friends that I adore, get a new job, get married, find a place to live, and somehow find a new writing community in a place totally foreign to me.  Besides getting married, I am scared and freaking out.  I am excited for all that is on the horizon but it seems completely overwhelming.

So, when I turned to my dad's photo and my mom's afghan it struck me that what matters most are the tiny moments throughout a day that make up a life.  Yes, we have a lot to plan for, but you can only plan so much for the future.  What happens now is what deserves our attention.

It may be just a red and orange blanket.  And, it might just be a picture of homemade onion bread.  But, to me, they are gentle reminders that I have been ignoring the simplicity of life, the sweetness in the cracks and the stories in the dust.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have All the Cupcakes Gone?

I Don't Want to Write About This

Upon Leaving a City and Community You Love