Slowing Down and Being Brave

I'm a person who likes to dream.  I usually dream of owning a small bar with my sister and living in Northern Michigan in a log cabin, possibly on a cherry farm.  But, as a writer, when it comes to entering writing contests, I freeze up and talk myself out of it.  I convince myself that it would be a waste of $20 to enter the contest because I clearly won't win.  This type of thinking has never helped me in the past and I always tell my students NOT to think this way.  So, when I recently read an article about a woman who is giving her Maine inn away for $125 and a winning essay, I froze with excitement and negative talk. 

However, at this point, I'm tired of the defeatist talk.  I may not have a good chance of winning the contest/inn, but shouldn't I try?  Because, how amazing would it be if I actually won?!?!?!

So, this weekend I will begin working on the "inn essay" and I will let myself really dream.  If you'd like to donate a few bucks towards the entry fee, leave a note below and I'll write you a personalized poem in gratitude.  And, if I win, those who donate get yearly free stays at the inn.  Let's dream!

http://happyplace.someecards.com/cool-hotels/if-you-can-write-a-200word-essay-you-can-own-this-maine-bed-breakfast/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Grand Lie

Upon Leaving a City and Community You Love

El Toro's Guilty Pleasure