Day 22: Light Switch

  When I was a kid I believed that once you hit a certain age, maybe 30 or 35, a switch was flipped and you suddenly knew everything you needed to know about life.  How to pay the mortgage? Answered. How to deal with difficult or challenging situations? No need to worry. How to be happy? Pfft, so easy.

  I also assumed that adults were done growing and learning, that they had every ounce of knowledge and wisdom that they needed. Adults always had the answers and were never fumbling for what to say, what to do, or how to act. In my young mind, adults didn't have to "work" on things, they were simply fully evolved. It sounded logical to me, in many ways that if I didn't have the answer to an obstacle or tricky question at 21, I would at 31.

  One of the things I'm glad I was wrong about is the ability as an "adult" to continually improve and learn. At 39 I am working on so many things about myself. This task can be overwhelming and scary but it can also be liberating. I may not know the answer now but maybe I will figure it out tomorrow, or next year.

Here is an incomplete list of things I am working on:

Better handwriting
Being less judgemental
Embracing  my sensitivity while also learning how to be more bad ass
Acknowledging my struggles
Being ok with not getting things right, right away
Imperfection
Being vulnerable
Asking for help
Taking more deep breaths
Being a better teacher, friend, partner, sister, daughter, human
Telling more stories
Writing more
Listening more
Positivity
Meditation
Growth
Get more dirt under my nails
Not killing plants


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Don't Want to Write About This

Where Have All the Cupcakes Gone?

Upon Leaving a City and Community You Love