Day 19: No Hands (Throwback Thursday)


No Hands

On the way back from the library, I see him in my rearview mirror.  A red windbreaker, white hair, and faded jeans slowly move towards me.  The man sits upright on a ten speed, two triumphant arms in the air.  Like a child, he continues to bike past Dougherty Street and down the hill towards Lake Tomahawk.  I watch his achievement until he bikes out of sight.  I am the only witness to this small act.  On the way back to school, I drive towards the park, hoping to see the biker again, but he is gone.  Probably off to do some other trick of life.  

I pull into the parking lot at school, walk into the classroom, and sit on the floor next to a student who is nine.  “I saw the coolest thing on my break today,” I tell her.  Her eyes light up, sure that I have a magical story to tell.  Something with punch, but I only have a lesson learned.  “I saw an older gentleman ride his bike today with no hands!  He first only put one hand in the air but then he did both!”  Disappointed but kind, the student says, “Oh, that’s cool.  I can do that too.”

In my mind, I have so much to say.  I want to tell her that this is what life is all about.  It’s a series of disappointments, challenges, triumphs, and detours.  It’s about staying young, having fun, even when someone tells you that you are too old to act like a child.  If you’re lucky, one day, you ride your bike with no hands.  Maybe no one is there to watch it with you, maybe only a stranger is there to witness your accomplishment, but it is a victory nonetheless.  

What I wanted to say was, “This is important,” but she wasn’t ready to listen and I’m not sure I know what I’m even talking about.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have All the Cupcakes Gone?

I Don't Want to Write About This

Upon Leaving a City and Community You Love