Day 7: Saturday Books

  My goal for 2018 was to read more.  I've been spending more time at the library and reading.  I've re-read books about Northern Michigan, poetry books by Oliver, Berry, and Collins, and I've tried to read books I'd normally look past, mostly fiction.

  The weekends have become my time to write and read more.  Carving out time to do this, and routinely following through, has been a goal for me.  But even when doing what I set out to do,  I feel like I should be doing something else, something more.  I can't find the appreciation and gratitude for having the time to read and write.

  What is that about?  I have a suspicion that is goes back to worth, feeling like I am and do enough.  I tell my older writing students all the time to "Never compare yourself or your writing to someone else.  Your talents, way of living, outlook...those are unique and necessary for our world.  Don't stop being you." I hear these words as I feel guilty for being indoors on a sunny day.  Who is telling me I should be more, live more, do more? No one except myself.  How odd is that? I am standing in my own way.

  I finally left the house right before dinner.  I'm going on a drive through the mountains and hopefully readjusting my outlook.  It's a challenge though to get away from the critic in your own mind in order to be present among anyone or anything.  It's what I'm working on.


 

Comments

Unknown said…
Sigh... I love you because you are YOU. Always enough (and more than some can handle!).

Popular posts from this blog

Where Have All the Cupcakes Gone?

I Don't Want to Write About This

Upon Leaving a City and Community You Love